Human Cell Line Identification and Authentication Services
The availability of well-characterized, viable human tissues and cell lines accompanied by pertinent donor data is a prerequisite for a great deal of current biomedical and transplantation research. Unfortunately, the misidentification and cross-contamination of human tissue cell lines occurs frequently. It is estimated that over 20% of all established cell lines are misclassified by cell type or species of origin, and over 33% of all cell lines suffer inter- or intra-species cross-contamination (1-3). The ATCC, along with the Coriell Institute for Medical Research, the European Collection of Cell Cultures (ECACC), the Deutsche Sammlung von Mikrorganismen and Zellkulturen (DSMZ), and the Japanese Collection of Research Resources have all received cell line submissions that, upon authentication, were determined to have been misidentified by the depositor (4,5). This poses a serious threat to the legitimacy of research findings produced from any of these cell cultures.
To aid clients in need of cell line identity validation, Bio-Synthesis (BSI) offers fast and reliable human cell line identification services to authenticate your cell lines. Scientists, with experience in STR DNA profiling, SNP genotyping, high-resolution Luminex HLA DNA typing, tissue microarray analysis and bioinformaticsdata analysis, perform DNA Identification at our accredited DNA testing facilities. Our commitment to total quality management assures our client's that our scientists employ efficient methods to confirming species' identity and detect cross-contamination, authenticating our client's cell lines in full compliance with NIH recommendations and scholarly journal guidelines.
If you have any questions or for additional information, please contact us or send an email to email@example.com
Key Features of our Cell Line Services:
Bio-Synthesis offers several different levels of cell authentication services at NO Additional Fees !
- High discriminatory power with small amount of human DNA required
- Identify 15 STR loci and the amelogenin gene
- Compare markers to ATCC STR database or other depositories
- Full cell line authentication services including DNA extraction
- LIMS sample tracking
- AABB accredited and GLP-compliant sample and data handling
In addition, Bio-Synthesis offers microarray detection and analysis. This integrated service solution can be fully leveraged to generate top-quality results at the fastest possible turnaround time for your cancer cell and stem cell research needs.
Cell Line Genotyping Authentication (STR Profiling)
Cell line contamination must be avoided to assure absolute reliability of the cell line authentication process. Cells used in basic and applied research can become altered in culture, either by contamination from other cell lines or by spontaneous genetic changes. The American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) recommends that researchers use low-passage cell lines and genotyping to authenticate cell line to assure reliable and reproducible results.
Why Choose Bio-Synthesis to authenticate your cell line?
- Our standard cell line genotyping PCR test detects contamination and mutations between human cells as well as verifies whether the cell line in question originates from a human by detecting the absence of standard markers.
- Our species-specific authentication services can selectively verify whether the cell line in question is indeed one of the 12 detectable species using our two-pronged inter-species identification and detection approach. Intra-species identification services is currently only available for human cell lines.
(Detectable Species: Pig, Human, Cat, Chinese hamster, Rhesus monkey, Sheep, Horse, African green monkey, Rat, Dog, Mouse, Rabbit, Goat, and Bovine)
- Cell line authentication can verify whether the genotype of the cell line in question is identical to the genotype of the presumed parental cells. If the parental cells genotypes have been determined by a recognized repository (ATCC, DSMZ, or JCRB), the genotype of the submitted cells can be compared to genotypes in the database. Bio-Synthesis can also genotype any parental cells not already represented in the database.
When should cell line Identification and authentication be conducted?
- The National Institute of Health and a multitude of scholarly journals have defined guidelines for the authentication of any cell line to be used in grant-eligible projects or in papers submitted for publication. Authentication is required every time a new line is established or acquired.
- Cells should be re-authenticated at the following stage: before freezing, Bimonthly while the culture is actively growing, at any point where the performance of the cell line yields inconsistent or unexpected results, and before publication.
- Cells must be tested if more than one cell line is under investigation in order to rule out cross-contamination.
- Cells must be tested when starting new experiments.
Cell line authentication and identification services from Bio-Synthesis are conducted under strict quality control processes.
Our GLP quality human cell line genotyping and characterization services offers rapid and accurate cell line identification by analyzing a pattern of defined short tandem repeats (STR). Cell line contamination is detected by the presence of 3 or more alleles using GeneMapper ID®Software.
Bio-Synthesis is committed to Total Quality Management (TQM) to assure our customers' complete satisfaction. QA (quality assurance) procedures are repeated for independent verification and are compliant with AABB and FDA regulations.
Cell Line Sample Preparation and Submission
Dry Cell Pellets:
There is a minimum requirement of 100k cells if DNA has not been extracted. Please spin down the cells in an Eppendorf tube, wash the cell pellet with PBS buffer once and vac-dry without heating. Make sure the pellets are completely dry before shipping.
Frozen Cell Pellets:
There is a minimum requirement of 100k cells if DNA has not been extracted. Please spin down the cells in an Eppendorf tube, wash the cell pellet with PBS buffer once and immediately freeze it with liquid nitrogen. Keep frozen and ship in dry ice.
If your cell line tubes are preserved in liquid nitrogen, you may send one tube to us as-is in dry ice.
Extracted Genomic DNA:
Please provide at least 100 ng of DNA in 10 μL TE buffer or water. Include a 1% agarose gel picture to show DNA integrity.
Please make sure that the samples do not contain anything hazardous.
When placing order online, please include cell line validation sample submission form with the sample.